Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Craig Old Road

I took a walk today.  I walked along my street just after 12pm. It reminded me of why I love living where I do. The sun was as hot as it usually is but it was the only constant thing. I didn't, until then, realise just how much Craig Village had changed.


One of the older houses located at the southern end of Craig Old Road, East Bank Demerara. On the right is a walkway which leads to the Public Road and bus shed. The Demerara River is located across the Public Road. (Photo taken 12 January 2010 by R. Alexander)

I know change is continuous but it never fails to shock me.

I saw an old house (in photo above). It is one of the few old structures still existing on the Old Road. I stood there staring. This house reminded me of the old days; my grandfather before he died; my family back when we were all together. It reminded me of "dabbing" the bottom house with "cow dung"; something I watched my cousins do. I miss those days.

Even the Old Road itself has changed. The rough thoroughly potholed surface is now solid, smooth, black asphalt riddled with huge speed bumps.

I've learnt that change, like life, never brings us the things we expect.


This is what the Craig Old Road looks like now. (Photo taken 12 January 2010 by R. Alexander)

No comments:

Post a Comment